Trust Deeds
 Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 Unemployed on trust deed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stephcmb89

3 Posts

Posted - 30 October 2018 :  13:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im just about to enter the last 12 months of my Trust Deed but i'm beginning to stuggle financially. Ive been unemployed since august 2017 and I'm a single parent so my income is solely benefits. I do own a very old car which is probably worth 400 if you're lucky. My question is, can a trust deed even continue when your income is benefits? And wpuld they want me to sell the car to pay the trust deed if I told them about it?

Steph

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12644 Posts

Posted - 30 October 2018 :  15:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Stephcmb89.

If you've been making the trust deed payments I can fully understand why you're struggling.

You shouldn't be making payment at this time. Your trustee should not be gathering in money from benefit income.

If your trustee is not aware of this situation, you should make them aware ASAP.

Do you expect/hope to be back in work soon?

I doubt that a car of that value is at risk, and especially so if you can demonstrate that you have a reasonable need to keep and use it.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Stephcmb89

3 Posts

Posted - 30 October 2018 :  16:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No they are not aware of this yet as I was worried what the outcome would be. I dont want the last 3years of paying the trust deed to be in vain.
I also receive a child maintenance payment each month but I expect they wouldnt touch this as the government cant even take it in to account either?

No i dont expect to be going back to work for at least another 2years.

Steph
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12644 Posts

Posted - 30 October 2018 :  16:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again.

You should certainly reach out to your trustee about this now.

We can't tell you exactly what will happen, but you should not be disadvantaged if a change of circumstances arose through no fault of your own.

I would imagine and hope that your trustee will take a sympathetic and supportive position, not least given that you've covered three years of contributions already.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Toal
Trust Deed Expert

295 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2018 :  16:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stephcmb89 , as TDA correctly advises the trustee is not entitled to pay contribution derived from benefits. If that has happened, please contact our trustee and ask for a refund.

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page

Stephcmb89

3 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2018 :  12:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well I contacted my Trustee today and they are sending out an expenditure form so they can reassess my situation. They said the trust could fail, i could get someone else could pay it for me or they may be able to reduce my payments.

Not really great options. I have no one to pay it for me and it feels wrong that they would simply fail the trust deed after 3years of making payments which would leave me open to my creditors #128545;

Steph
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12644 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2018 :  16:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stephcmb89.

I know you must be very worried and I'm sorry that nobody can tell you exactly how this will work out as yet.

The trustee will need to make a decision that is fair for your creditors and fair to you, based upon the facts of the case. I do hope that a solution you consider to be satisfactory is found.

Please let us know how things develop.

Go to Top of Page

Kevin Mapstone
Trust Deed Expert

3613 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2018 :  10:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the reason that you are no longer working? Did you choose to stop? Was it an involuntary redundancy? Were you sacked?

The reason may be important as your trustee needs to be able to justify their actions and the guidance they are given by the Accountant in bankruptcy says that they shouldn't refuse a person's discharge purely due to a change in circumstances beyond the individual's control. Nor should they be accepting payments from benefits.

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2018 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.