Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 New to Trust Deed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emily1234

6 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2019 :  23:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

I am looking into entering into a trustdeed and finding it really scary and dawnting. Reading this forum has really helped but I have a few questions if anyone can help:

Has anyone dealt with Carrington Dean and how have they found them?

I have recently changed cars in January to try get my monthly payments down however it seems instead of a hire purchase the finance was done as a personal loan through creation. My first payment is due this month which is fine but I wondered if this then gets classed as unsecure and added to the trust deed? Iíd rather it wasnít as happy to pay it for the 5 years and then I owe the car but the finance on this is high due to negative equity in previous cars. The car is worth £6k but the loan is around £12k. How would this work?

I am entering a trust deed but my partner isnít. We are due to remortgage at end of this year and happy to do this with the bank we are with. Will we still get offered a new deal as itís with the same bank or will we not get offered anything better now as I am entering trust deed?

We purchased our house with help to buy we d been told our house is being valued a lot lower than what we paid and £10k less than what the mortgage is? Do Carrington Dean then re value your house through out the process.

Do you have to send monthly reports of your spending? I havenít been told any of this as it is very early stages.

I have read there are yearly reviews I spoke to the manager today as I had questions about getting quarterly bonuses and was advised this wonít affect my monthly payments is this correct?

Holidays how does this work? Are u ok to go on these or is it something that is frowned upon? Iíve been told this is fine and budgeted for so long as itís not world cruises Iím going on but just wanted to know what others experiences were with this?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get my head round of all.

Thanks

Swandog
Advanced Contributor

134 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  08:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Emily1234 and welcome to the forum.

First thing is well done for taking the hardest step in acknowledging the debt and that you need some help and advice to deal with it. You will find plenty of support and reassurance on the forum from the experts and also people who have been in a similar position and at this stage.

All unsecured debts must be included into a Trust Deed and all creditors treated equally. If the finance for the car is an unsecured loan then this will need to go into the Trust Deed. This then means that the car is free of finance and worth approx. £6,000. In a Trust Deed when a car is worth more than £3,000 itís regarded as an asset and the Trustee needs to ingather the value. Most firms will discount the first £3,000 and consider either an extension of your Trust Deed at the end to pay over this amount (£3,000) or you could arrange for a third party to make monthly payments for 48 months to pay this over = £62.50. The important part is to agree with the company that will handle your Trust Deed at the outset before you sign anything exactly how this will work. Very rarely does someone lose their car so donít worry about this.

In terms of re-mortgaging youíd really need to speak with a financial advisor about this but in my experience your current provider will offer you their own products and deals but it would be hard to change away to a new mortgage company as your credit rating would be poor.

In terms of revaluing the house, this shouldnít happen providing you maintain all of your payments and co-operate with the Trustee. One valuation should be done at the outset and that locks in the equity. If your house is worth less than the mortgage then there would be negative equity and no real risk to the house.

The Trust Deed is reviewed on an annual basis and you simply complete an income and expenditure form along with sending back bank statements and payslips. If your situation remains relatively the same then your payments remain the same.

If you receive a regular bonus then this needs to be factored into the Trust Deed. The payment to the Trust Deed is always based on affordability so in theory if you are earning more money your payments could increase. You are meant to pay over all of your disposable income for the benefit of your creditors under the legislation. Some firms can take the regular bonus payments into account when calculating your average income so that when you receive the bonus you keep this. If you receive a one off bonus once a year then the full amount of this could be taken into your Trust Deed. Again this is something you want clarification in writing regarding so you know exactly how it will work.

When it comes to working out a payment per month we work through a very thorough income and expenditure and allowances are made for things like holidays, Christmas or birthdays, hobbies etc. We need to work with something called the Common Financial Statement which sets maximum spending limits for the following categories: Food/Housekeeping, Travel, Phone & Other Expenditure. Under the ďOther ExpenditureĒ category this has the birthday/Christmas and holidays and hobbies spending. As long as your spending for that total category does not exceed the maximum spending for the total category then you will be fine for things like holidays.

The Trust Deed I think is always about a balance. You need to pay a payment which you can afford and that the lenders will accept. There is no point in a payment which a client will struggle with and have no quality of life.

You are doing all of the right things asking loads of questions. Itís always a good idea to get advice from one or two advisors from different firms as things can vary slightly from firm to firm. The experts on the forum do a really good job helping with advice too. Also level of customer service is important and ideally you want to meet with the advisor who will handle your case from the start to the finish.

The most important thing is to take your time, do some research, speak with a couple of advisors and then make sure everything is confirmed in writing regarding exactly how everything will work. If you do that it should work out fine and you will be back on the forum in 4 years asking about life after the Trust Deed.

Hope Iíve covered everything for you but if not, fire some more questions our way.
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12803 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  09:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Emily1234.

I can see you've already had a lot of good advice and information from Swandog.

As stated already, all unsecured debts will be included in your trust deed. There is no option to leave one out.

It sounds like the car is owned outright by yourself, and that it may well be viewed as an asset by your trustee because it's worth more than £3,000.

Regarding your mortgage, a trust deed might not be significant if you plan to stay with the same lender and not increase your borrowing amount. They're not taking on any additional risk so a credit search may not be carried out. This is down to the policies of individual mortgage lenders however, so we cannot give you a definitive answer.

Any equity in your assets, including your home, should be identified at the start of the trust deed. A plan to deal with that equity as part of your trust deed agreement should be put in writing.

The information you've been given about quarterly bonuses sounds quite wrong. Your trustee has a duty to collect in your disposable income for the benefit of your creditors. If you receive a bonus, your trustee is likely to require you to pay some or all of it into your trust deed. I'm surprised that you have been told this.

The information you've been given about holidays also sounds like a bit of a sales pitch. You might have a very modest budget for social activities and holidays, but the reality of trust deeds is that you will have a quite restricted budget throughout the arrangement. How you spend your allowances is a matter for you however, so you might be able to cut back on other things to help pay for holidays.

You're fine to go on holidays of course, it's just that the extent to which you'll personally have a specific budget for this will be pretty limited.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Emily1234

6 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  09:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for helping answer my questions.

I have had them contact me this morning as they need all my documents today as canít hold my details on file longer than 24 hours is this correct?

I feel a little rushed into this if Iím honest and just want to make sure itís the right thing and that I have all the correct information.

When should I receive documents of whatís in the trust deed? After they have built MH case together?

Also who do you recommend to speak to on this matter and companies to proceed with? I want to make sure I am key the right person and donít have any hassle with this.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12803 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  09:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Emily1234.

Good debt advisers will give their clients as much time as they need to be sure about the choices that they're making.

It's extremely important that you don't feel rushed into doing something that you're not ready for.

I don't recognize the comment about 24 hours. Never heard it before (this forum's been running for more than a decade).

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12803 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  09:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This site recommends the firms represented here by Kevin and Sharon.

If you like a second opinion they'd be happy to help.

Go to Top of Page

Emily1234

6 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  09:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

how can I get in touch with Kevin or Sharon?

Carrington Dean have said they can only hold my details for 24 hours due to new legislation?

I come from a sales background and feel like itís more of a sale pitch than trying to help me so if I could get in touch with someone who can give me real honest advise and answers that would be great.

Thanks again

Go to Top of Page

Swandog
Advanced Contributor

134 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  10:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you need to slow down a little here.

What they have said is incorrect about only holding your details on file for 24 hours. That sounds to me like they are trying to rush you into a plan. Once you sign a Trust Deed itís extremely difficult to get back out of it so you need to be sure.

As TDA has advised advisors should give people as much time as they need to decide to proceed. Some people can feel happy and confident about things and other needs a couple of weeks or even a couple of months. It all comes down to that individual person.

Would you feel more comfortable actually meeting an advisor face to face to discuss things and to review paperwork? Thatís also an option rather than doing it all over the phone. Some people I know feel a bit better doing things that way.

In order to proceed with a Trust Deed the company will need the value your house, obtain a settlement figure on your mortgage, obtain paperwork about the help to buy to calculate how much of the house you own to confirm the equity. They should also go over all of your debts, complete a thorough income and expenditure and ask you for bank statements and payslips. Then they need to confirm all of this in writing in easy to understand paperwork. This takes longer than 24 hours.

If you are looking for a second opinion Kevin or Sharon the two experts on the forum could help with this.

As I said you need to feel comfortable with what you are doing and who you are dealing with. For someone to day you need to make a decision within 24 hours isnít right.
Go to Top of Page

Swandog
Advanced Contributor

134 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  10:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no new legislation. Ask them to confirm this for you in writing.

You are right it does sounds like a sale pitch.
Go to Top of Page

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12803 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  10:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Emily1234.

If you go to their profile pages (see the main menu of this website) you'll find a contact form for each of them.

We also have our own advice team who will be pleased to speak with you. Click the "contact me" button in my forum signature and you'll be taken to a contact form.

It does sound like a second opinion will be useful to you.

Go to Top of Page

Emily1234

6 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  10:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have valued my house through a website online that they say is approved.

The value of this is a lot lower, I mentioned I had help to buy with the house and this didnít seem to be an issue they havenít asked for settlement figures of the mortgage as they could see if from my credit check.

I have provided bank statements and pay slips but havenít had anything in writing? They said they build a case up then I get a call and go over everything on the call then get given paperwork to sign to confirm and start the trustdeed.

I was advised I could stop my payments to my creditors now and have a ďholidayĒ as the trust deed would begin in a few weeks. I donít feel comfortable with that though as Iíd rather it was all done above board as much as possible. Iím not taking this lightly or because I want a holiday so trying to figure out what is best for me.

How do i get in touch with Sharon or Kevin to get 2nd opinion?

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Kevin Mapstone
Trust Deed Expert

3675 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  10:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Emily1234
Sorry it has taken me a few hours to get onto this topic. Of course I would be very happy to give you a second opinion about your situation.

As the others have said, this is a very important step and nobody should be trying to rush you into it. We've seen too many horror stories over the years of people signing up to something which wasn't properly explained, or where important details weren't sufficiently clarified, and then counting the cost of it further down the line. If your instinct is telling you it is a sales pitch then I'd listen to it!

Just click through my "contact me" button below, or Sharon's, and a call back can be arranged.

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page

Emily1234

6 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2019 :  22:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, I contacted Sharon but itís Tracy we are meeting with on a Tuesday.

Look forward to speaking to you and getting help and guidance with this.

Go to Top of Page

Swandog
Advanced Contributor

134 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2019 :  09:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Emily1234,

I think you have made the right decision seeking a second opinion from one of the experts on the forum.

How are you feeling now you have spoken to someone else?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2018 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.