Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 McGinness Associates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

madeforidiots
Just Joined

2 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2018 :  09:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone advise on the legality of a third party (Mcginness Associates) using the Edinburgh Gazette to scrape user details to send letters about the recent PPI case decision?

My trust deed is literally 5 days away from the final payment (100% cleared, yay!) and no PPI was found by discovery.

I've checked with the company handling my trust deed and they said that they haven't shared my details to anyone else.

Also, this third party somehow managed to get my most recent address (I've moved since the trust deed started).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? I don't want to give them more data but I'm horrified as to how my permanent gazette record has been used for spam (possibly scam) advertising.

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12692 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2018 :  11:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum madeforidiots.

Are you sure it's the Edinburgh Gazette that may be being used? That's not been in use for some time.

Could it be the Register of Insolvencies instead? I think that would contain a current address.

This is public information, so anyone can access it.

We can't advise you on the legalities of this because we are not solicitors. However, firms have been using insolvency public records to contact people for a long time, often causing significant annoyance.

If a firm is now holding your personal details, you will have rights under the GDPR. For example, you could contact that firm and request that they remove any such records they hold containing your personal information.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    

Edited by - TDA (Debt Adviser) on 28 November 2018 11:49:54
Go to Top of Page

madeforidiots
Just Joined

2 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2018 :  23:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi TDA,

This is the thing, even on the insolvencies register I can't see my more updated address unless it offers other alternatives.

I called them to ask and they said it was a public database. When I asked which one and mentioned the Gazette, they agreed.

I've found some information on the ICOs website to send them a letter in order to ask them how they got these details and what they've done with them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2018 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.