Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 Council tax
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Choccy1
Just Joined

2 Posts

Posted - 30 November 2017 :  17:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hqve been in a trust deed for a while now solo my husband is not included but we are joint names for our council tax, the council tax is in the trust deed but now the council have sent sheriff officers to get the debt they say trust deed should have told us that he would still be liable for the debt even though its in a trust deed can anyone advise?

Em

TDA (Debt Adviser)
Trust Deed Expert

12101 Posts

Posted - 30 November 2017 :  17:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Choccy1.

I'm afraid I haven't got good news for you.

Your husband's liability for that payment will not have ended because you entered into a trust deed. It's only you who is covered by the trust deed.

It would be exactly the same if you'd had a joint loan or a joint overdraft for example.

Qualified Debt Adviser & Forum Administrator - Ask me anything about Trust Deeds    
Go to Top of Page

Choccy1
Just Joined

2 Posts

Posted - 30 November 2017 :  17:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks for advising me so he will be liable for the whole amount do i need to contact my trust deed and tell them to take that out of it?

Em
Go to Top of Page

Kevin Mapstone
Trust Deed Expert

3411 Posts

Posted - 30 November 2017 :  18:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is liable for the whole amount, but they are also entitled to claim in your trust deed and any payments your trustee makes to creditors will reduce the amount your husband has to pay.

Recommended Partner & Trust Deed Expert - Ask me for help setting up a Scottish Trust Deed    
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2017 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Trust-Deed.co.uk, Clyde Offices, 2nd Floor, 48 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 1BP. Tel: 0141 2490416.