Scottish Trust Deed Forum
 Help?! "contribution order will be enforced"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

katesb83

3 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2013 :  15:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some advise..........

I have been off on maternity and my trust deed was put on hold, im trying to set it up again because im back at work.

The trust deed is for debt that is mine, I live with my partner but we are not married, no joint accounts and we split everything 50/50 and he supports me as after paying bills there is none of my wages left (he ends up paying more)

My trust deed company want me to pay 170.00 but i just cant afford it, They have said if i dont an contribution order will be enforced....... Can they do that???? they are trying to say "well your partner earns more so he should pay more of the bills" but thats not there place to say........ we have always worked 50/50 and now we have a child its even harder..... after the bills are paid there is none of my wage left and what is left of my partners he supports me and him and our little one! where do i stand.........

katesb83

Trust Deed Assistant
Trust Deed Expert

8836 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2013 :  15:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Trust-Deed.co.uk katesb83.

It's understandable that your partner and yourself will have come to your own arrangement about how your bills are split.

However, splitting them 50:50 irrespective of your relative earnings isn't how this process would usually work with trust deeds.

A partner that is earning proportionately more than the other would normally be expected to contribute proportionately more towards the joint household costs when calculating a trust deed payment.

If your partner earns more than you then it's possible that your share of the household bills will be deemed to be less than 50%.

The follow-on effect of this is that you may struggle to pay 50% of the household bills and to pay your assessed trust deed contribution.

If this is the case I think you're going to need to discuss it with your partner. It would appear that the trustee is considering taking legal steps to secure the payment they think that you can afford to pay into your trust deed each month.

*** Qualified Debt Adviser & Trust Deed Forum Administrator ***    
Go to Top of Page

katesb83

3 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2013 :  15:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply

"trustee is considering taking legal steps " i dont understand how this is something they can do if you enter into a trust deed voluntary....
Is there anyway to remove myself from trust deed or im i binded until the end?

katesb83
Go to Top of Page

Trust Deed Assistant
Trust Deed Expert

8836 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2013 :  15:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again katesb83.

You did voluntarily appoint your trustee, but when you did so they took on some legal responsibilities. One of those responsibilities is to ensure that you pay what you can reasonably afford towards your debts.

What is "reasonably affordable" is obviously open to some interpretation and dispute, but assigning a greater percentage of household costs to a higher earner is a pretty common principle that helps to ensure that creditors get treated fairly.

You cannot leave the trust deed unless the trustee facilitates this. If they intend to secure a monthly payment from you against your agreement it sounds as though they may be unwilling to let you leave the trust deed.

*** Qualified Debt Adviser & Trust Deed Forum Administrator ***    
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Trust Deed Forum © 2008 - 2014 www.trust-deed.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

Scottish Trust Deeds and Debt Advice - www.trust-deed.co.uk. All Rights Reserved.
(C) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Data Protection Registration: Z1332750